Female Sexual Health: Rediscover You
Treating Women The Right Way
At La Jolla Centre for Sexual Health we’re bringing women’s sexual health and satisfaction out of the closet! Why? Peer-reviewed scientific studies show that nearly half of all women struggle with their sexual health or desire at some point.
For too long, female sexual health and satisfaction were taboo topics. Women were pigeon-holed into 50’s era nurturing stereotypes and their sexual wants and needs were never part of the larger social consciousness. Could you imagine June Cleaver ever having a great orgasm?
For sex to be truly satisfying, what doctors call a “sexual response cycle” must be complete.
While both men and women experience this cycle, they do so at different rates, and obviously, different physical outcomes.
The cycle has 4 steps.
- Desire - Desire is a sexual “charge” you get in response to actual or potential sexual activity. For most women, this is manifested with a faster heartbeat and breathing and some flushing in the cheeks and face.
- Arousal - Sexual stimulation occurs using the body’s five senses (this is much more prevalent in women than men). Sensual touching, attractive features, surroundings, sounds, tastes, smells, even vivid mental imagery or imagination can kick-start your sexual engine. The physical reactions are vaginal fluids being released to provide lubrication for intercourse. The vagina also expands and the clitoris enlarges while the nipples become hardened or erect.
- Orgasm - At the peak of arousal, the muscles surrounding the vagina contract rhythmically. This is often referred to as the climax.
- Resolution - The vagina and clitoris return to their un-aroused states, leaving you feeling relaxed, content and satisfied. Every woman progresses through this cycle at her own rate.
Sexual problems occur when any of these stages are interrupted or non-existent.
Some physical causes of that interruption can be:
- Lack of Desire
- Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginitis Inflammation
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Post-hysterectomy nerve damage
These issues can be complicated by chronic health problems like cancer, diabetes, heart, liver or kidney disease.
Other physical conditions can also cause an interruption in the sexual response cycle, like hormonal imbalances, menopause, fatigue, and of course, pregnancy.
Taken separately, any of these physical issues can cause significant sexual dysfunction. When compounded on to each other, as they often are, many women feel they have to give up on having truly great, satisfying sexual experiences.
That simply is not true.
The Board-certified Endocrinologists at the La Jolla Centre for Sexual Health specialize in helping women overcome these obstacles to enjoy a fuller, more active sexual lifestyle.
But It’s Not Just About The Physical
Doctors have known for years that a woman’s sexual health is directly linked to her emotional and physical health.
This means the quality of your sexual experience is linked not only to how you feel, but how you feel about yourself.
Even if you don’t suffer from one of the above physical issues, and instead you just don’t “feel sexy,” the doctors at La Jolla Centre for Sexual Health can help!
There are a variety of treatment options to help you return to the vital sexual woman you once were, or feel you should become.
Call our office today so we can get you started on the path to sexual fulfillment and satisfaction!